Each specialty here has been given its own page, within which you will be able to see various information about that specialty.
Information is available on all specialties that accept trainees from a medicine background. The majority of these are coordinated by the JRCPTB, however where this is not the case links have been provided to who is coordinating recruitment.
The JRCPTB-coordinated specialties are as follows:
- acute internal medicine (AIM)
- audiovestibular medicine (AVM)
- clinical genetics
- clinical neurophysiology
- clinical pharmacology & therapeutics (CPT)
- combined infection training (CIT)
- endocrinology & diabetes mellitus
- genitourinary medicine (GUM)
- geriatric medicine
- infectious diseases & tropical medicine
- medical microbiology
- medical oncology
General internal medicine
Please note that you cannot usually apply directly to general internal medicine (GIM) at ST3 level. Training in GIM is done in parallel with another medical specialty and it is necessary to apply for one of these specialties if you wish to train in GIM. Most programmes within these specialties will offer dual accreditation to both that specialty and GIM with additional training time to fully specialise in both.
Specialties which have the ability to dual with GIM are acute internal medicine, cardiology, clinical pharmacology and therapeutics, endocrinology and diabetes, gastroenterology, geriatric medicine, infectious diseases, renal medicine, respiratory medicine and rheumatology.
Each specialty contains a summary of the specialty and links to other resources. Those coordinated by the JRCPTB also contain the following:
- Who do I contact - most specialties are managed by a lead region, this page tells you who to contact for queries about your application.
- Planing your application - information on any non-standard eligibility criteria and details of how the specialty organise their recruitment process.
- Interview dates & posts - including a table with post numbers broken down by region.
- Interview & scoring - specific information about the interview format, questions areas, appointability criteria and how the total score used for ranking will be calculated.
- Data - data from previous rounds including: application and post numbers, competition ratios, scoring data and fill rates. Data from the current round will be added here as it can be confirmed.